"The woods are lovely, dark and deep

.....But I've promises to keep......And miles to go before I Sleep!!!!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Den Haag, Netherlands

A traveler in pursuit of experiences………the pic on my profile represents me aptly. There is so much in life to acomplish that one shouldn't be contended by achieving a few aspirations. There is so much potential in each one of us that we compete with ourselves (In this pic, Tintin racing against his shadow)

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Am I right in Complaining??

This article is for all those souls who believe that god hasn’t been kind enough towards them and so they invariable find it tough to get what they deserve or aspire to achieve. They often end up complaining and digging in on incidents that have left them high and dry!!

I often find myself being a part of this elite group. As I sit back and recollect the things that I have complained about in the last few months, the list would seem to be a long one – not securing a desired placement, coming back home without a job after doing my MBA, sitting idle at home for a month (my mom won’t complain about it though), not being able to meet my college friends too often and so on; the latest one being the delay in my trip to Germany. When you know that something has been planned for you and it gets delayed that’s when you start cursing the scenario, the people responsible for the delay and end up complaining a lot! This is a human tendency and it comes naturally to me (I can’t speak for others).

Yesterday evening was once such time where I was mumbling words to myself and thinking of the possibilities of things falling in place for my trip to Germany. This was a time when I was returning back from my friend Rahul’s place after dinner. The temperatures have off late taken a dip and so the breeze was cold. As I just walked past the gate of my society, the anguished complains in my mind were jolted by a “Good Night, Sir” wish by the Watchman. I lifted my head to look at the person; he was a lanky fellow with a khaki colored dress and a navy blue sweater with a smile on his face. The sweater was torn at numerous places; some of which were sewed by a different colored thread. The next few minutes, I just couldn’t get over of the image of the watchman and couldn’t stop thinking about him.

I felt so sad at the state of that person. He was braving the cold breeze the whole night away from his family to earn a living. I felt my life to be, touchwood, very comfortable as compared to his but still he had a smile on his face as against the frown on mine. For once I thought of giving some money to him and help; but then I thought, “Isn’t that an easy way to eave your conscious being wrenched?”. I kept thinking of a way that could do a lot of good for people like him and the society in particular.

All of us are busy doing things that would help us to develop a good life, have a family, enjoy the weekends at a multiplex or shopping at will, owning a big car, a big house, a few years stay abroad or a few trips to abroad. That’s it!! What after that or what does it lead you to!! I feel there is life beyond all this; in a country like India, there are ample opportunities to do good for the people because there are a lot of them who need help. For all of you who have had the patience to read through till this line, it would be disheartening to read that I haven’t yet found or decided upon a way to help the society, the needy. But I still found this thought noble enough to be shared. Some of those who are reading might have a noble thought that they might be willing to start or share.

I feel our complains are all centered on the needs for oneself; the day the complains are for the benefit of others, the conscience would proclaim our right to complain!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Arif Adhoni said...

HI Maverick (Arijeet),
I always enjoy reading ur posts. Especially this one which depicts ur desire not to uplift the whole mankind but at least think of the ways to help them.
Hope to contribute to your efforts in future.

Regards,
Arif

2:42 PM  
Blogger Anilavo said...

Arijeet Da,
Excellent Blog. very refreshing in these tough times :)

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home