"The woods are lovely, dark and deep

.....But I've promises to keep......And miles to go before I Sleep!!!!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Den Haag, Netherlands

A traveler in pursuit of experiences………the pic on my profile represents me aptly. There is so much in life to acomplish that one shouldn't be contended by achieving a few aspirations. There is so much potential in each one of us that we compete with ourselves (In this pic, Tintin racing against his shadow)

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

USA - Part 3 - The Transition Phase (Settling In US)

(This post might make me look a complete idiot but I guess all those who have had this experience can correlate to it and all those who are planning to come in US would get a preview of what to expect)

The first few days in US were a complete shock. Completely different culture, different processes and administrative norms; took me a while to acclimatize to the situation. I had left for the US within a couple of days of knowing that I had to leave for this assignment. So I couldn’t make most of the internet to understand the place and the cultural differences.

The journey till Akron was pleasant. I had almost everything sorted out. After collecting the baggage, I wanted to take a cab to the Hotel. There were a few counters of the rental car companies that were lined up before the exit and none for a taxi service. I was in a fix because I didn’t have a cell phone, no cab service number and no cabs in sight. Luckily though as I went out there was a cab present. It had come to drop off somebody and was waiting for passengers. It was a relief to get the cab else I would have had a hard time getting into the city. (So carry the details/ numbers of cab service at the place of arrival)

The hotel was about 15 miles (24 Kms) from the airport and I was amazed to see the greenery all around. It reminded me of the drive from the KL airport to the main city which was also quite scenic in nature. The best part of the time that I arrived in US was it got dark after 9.30PM. So it took few days to realize that it’s still quite late though it might be bright and sunny outside. I guess this also gave me loads of time to explore the place.

Over the next few days I realized what significance transportation plays in conducting the daily business. USA has an absence of a sound public system (except for the handful cities like NYC, Chicago & LA). So was the case evident in Akron. Without owning a car one is almost immobile out here. Each day, I used to miss my time in Singapore. I haven’t seen a place well connected by public transport (busses, MRT’s) as one would find in Singapore. So I really found it strange that a country as prosperous as US lacks a good transport system. The city of Akron does have a few busses which run within the city; but it’s neither at desired timings nor on the desired routes. Though there are a few cab services (Yellow Cabs) which operate in the city but it generally takes 20 minutes (which often extended to 45-50 minutes) for them to arrive and not to forget the expenses incurred each trip. It often happened that I would keep waiting and the cab didn’t arrive. So In the first 2 weeks, I had walked back home four times. I wasn’t averse to walking but just the fact that my house was about 11 miles (~18Kms) away and it took me roughly around three and a half hours to walk all the way back (Partially thru the downtown area and partially thru the Cuyahoga valley). So each day I used to miss being in Singapore and my desire to be there just kept getting stronger. When I look back today, I doubt if I’ll do that much of walking again, but it gave me the opportunity to explore this place.

The first evening in US was nothing less than eventful as well. After returning firm office I headed for Wal-Mart to buy a few stuffs and more importantly to get a prepaid connection for my cell. I’ll confess that I enjoy shopping groceries and household items and at Wal-Mart I felt like being in a park, happily exploring items that I almost forgot about purchasing the Sim card for the phone. After all the purchase I realized Wal-Mart doesn’t sell the Pre paid sim card (not the one that I went too) and so I was stuck without a cab. I tried calling up using the public telephone but couldn’t fetch a cab. Since the cabs are very few in number, it’s almost next to impossible to catch a cab on the road. With loads of struggle I went to a convenience store and requested them to call for a cab. The guys were very helpful at the convenience store. (I didn’t even know the area I was in as I had caught the cab to Wal-Mart from the hotel and he took me to the nearest place to my hotel).

Finalizing the house wasn’t an easy task as well. As I wasn’t aware of the good localities I had not taken the effort to find the place over the net before leaving for US. It would surely have not been possible to get this thing sorted without the help of my Lead Engineer. He took me to a few guys (Indians, Chinese, and Korean) who knew of a few places where I could lease an apartment for six months. I got the details from these guys and checked up on the internet to narrow down on the one that looked good. I didn’t have a car and so I knew I really have to be sure of this thing as I couldn’t hop places searching an apartment. Luckily, I found a good place at the place I had narrowed upon. I remember searching houses with Hemant back in Baroda (though he did the bulk of searching); I hated doing that. It is a tedious process. The differences were quite evident between India and US; back in India there would an agent introducing you to each room; each house personally while here based on the budget, kind of apartment I was given keys to a few houses. I had to go alone and check it out and narrow down on the apartment of my own choice. Just when I had finalized the deal, I realized it was yet not over. I had to walk a half mile (0.8Km) down the valley to get a money order as a security deposit as they didn’t accept check and Cash for deposits. Over the next two days I had to get insurance for the house and get the documents faxed to the rental office so that I could make it to the apartment quickly. The difficulty I had in all this process was to get the electricity on my name for which I needed to coordinate with first energy; that only used Credit cards from US banks to pay the deposits (Again my Lead Engineer to rescue).

When I look back to this sequence of events; I think I had an eventful first few weeks. However, it made me learn a lot about this place, the system, and modus operandi of the administration here. So not a bad deal I guess; after all travelling to a new place is not just for tourist purpose always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home